Saturday, June 26, 2004

Ryan Adams and Other Items of Interest

Please don't make the mistake of confusing talented singer/songwriter Ryan Adams with this guy.

I got a nice little birthday check from my uncle Wayne. Wayne lives in New York state, near Syracuse, and so the beauty thing is that he always sends US dollars. So I promptly cashed that baby and made a little trip down to a&b sound, the best place in Saskatoon for music and stereo equipment.

There was quite a few albums I intended to pick up, and one was something by Ryan Adams, someone whom Ewan (read Ewan's blog as The Enchanted Wizard of Rythym) constantly raves about. They didn't have what many consider his best album, Gold, but I picked up Rock N Roll blind without having heard it and man, I'm loving it.

This guy is solid rock, with a tinge of country, a bit of garage rock, pop sensibilities and solid, if somewhat tortured, lyrics. However, this music is really resonating. I can't believe that he isn't getting more airplay.

I really like this bit from "Wish You Were Here":

And everybody knows the way I walk
And knows the way I talk
And knows the way I feel about you
It's all a bunch of shit
And there's nothing to do around here
It's totally fucked up
It's totally fucked up
Wish you were here


Perhaps a little overwrought (note: this is probably the most profanity laced bit on the album for those who are adverse to that kind of thing, it's not prevalent), but who hasn't felt like that before? I know I've felt like that a lot lately (see last post for more hints).

Anyway, Ryan Adams is great surprise.

I also picked up a couple of soundtracks I'd been meaning to buy for a long time, including O Brother, Where Art Thou (really dig that old time bluegrass sound), and Trainspotting.

Also finally got around to buying City of God, which is a fantastic movie that I strongly urge everyone to see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home