Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Yes, there was a moment of smug self-satisfaction after reading Caitlin's comments here. Before knowing the effect of my praise, last night at four am, before crawling into my cold bed, I decided to throw Amnesiac into the CD player and fall asleep to it (I love the irony of it, but one cannot live on irony alone), however, I was so tired that I didn't even make it to the end of "Packt Like Sardines in a Crushd Tin Box." I didn't even feel that tired before I got home, but once my head hit the pillow...wham!

--

I'm going to get back on the subject of movies right away here, because being the obsessive film fan that I am, I simply cannot go for very long without talking about movies in some way, whether an offhand allusion to a line from a favourite comedy or verbally trying to throttle a friend who has the gall to insult a Star Wars film in my pressence.

I went to see Finding Neverland this evening. Having seen 57 of the films released thus far in 2004, I can say that this is a great film that does live up to its expectations. It's not a loud obnoxious film, but rather a film full of life and imagination. Johnny Depp is, as usual, excellent as J.M. Barrie - sometimes it really bothers me that he got famous for his role in Pirates, good as he was, because people don't realize how good this guys range is. From film to film, he's never quite the same. He doesn't rely on his personae to carry a film, but rather inhabits the characters that he plays. Kate Winslet is also excellent, adding this to her role in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind earlier this year, and I'm predicting at least one Oscar nomination for her. Actually, I would be surprised if thsi film doesn't get nominated for Best Picture. In a year full of "biopics," here is film that truly stands on its own, not only with insight into a facinating life, but as story in and of itself, full of joy, sadness and imagination.

Imagination. That's really what made me love the film. All other aspects aside, this is a film that further inspires me in the belief that writing and storytelling do matter, and are of grave importance in this world. Barrie's exhortation to young Peter that he must write, whatever, be it what he does during the day or the "talking whale in your head" that is our imaginations. Writing is important, and it's something that I need to make a more conscious effort to make the time to do so.

This blog is good start. That's one of the great things about blogging, is that it's an easy way to practice writing something. Not that anything that I write on here is very good or anything, but the practice of making writing a familiar and comfortable part of life is a good one. Now I need to unlock my imagination and work some more on the ideas I have for novels, essays, comics and screenplays. All those things are in there and, with practice, I can bring them to life.

5 Comments:

At 1:59 p.m., Blogger cait said...

So, am I going to be leant (lent?) some Radiohead? All we have here is Bea listening to "Just" and a few other songs incessantly on her computer.
--
Also: I guess I don't pay enough attention, but is "Pirates" seriously what made Johnny Depp famous? I suppose my mom's innocent crush on him has led my family to watch most of his movies (and my father to dislike him intensely ;o) ), but surely he's been in too many good movies to not have garnered a lot of interest previously? Frankly, while I absolutely adored him in "Pirates," I didn't like that film nearly as much as I liked "Chocolat" or "The Man Who Cried" or "Cry Baby" or "Benny and Joon" or "Once Upon a Time in Mexico" (I don't care what people say; that's a GREAT film. Who cares if it's not as good as the other two?) or well, most of his films. I'm not going to list all of them, which I realized I was starting to do. Very few actors have as fine an ear as he does, or such a sense of themselves physically.

 
At 2:18 p.m., Blogger cait said...

also: if I'm listening to Radiohead, I think it's only fair that you get a Howlin' Wolf and Wide Mouth Mason education . . .

 
At 2:27 p.m., Blogger Anders said...

While most film fans have known about Johnny for a long time (going back at least to Edward Scissorhands), and the general movie going public knew who he was, I wouldn't say he was a "star" in the same sense that he is now. To add even further insult, his Oscar nod for Pirates was his first! I can't believe he wasn't nominated for Ed Wood or any number of other fine performances over the years.

And, yes, I will lend you some Radiohead. If I can get the stupid burner working, or if we get the new computer really quickly here, I'll even burn a few CDs for you.

 
At 7:15 p.m., Blogger cait said...

I love how you totally ignored the WMM/howlin' wolf comment.

See, this is why I don't believe in democracy. People like Johnny Depp more for Pirates of the Carribean than for Nick of Time. I do have to say though, not even I could sit through all of Dead Man.

 
At 1:47 a.m., Blogger Anders said...

I like Fear and Loathing, and Fight Club, and I even liked Dead Man (probably partly due to the Neil Young soundtrack, Crispin Glover on the train, and the fact that Depp's character was called William Blake).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home