Thursday, March 17, 2005

What's Going On

A few words on what I've been up to:

Firstly, I re-read Animal Farm in its entirety, in one sitting, yesterday afternoon in Browsers. I'm now convinced that it is a much better novel than I previously thought. The effect of reading it in a single sitting (it's not long, only 95 pages) was interesting.

I also re-read part of nineteen eighty-four last night. I think I'm definitely going to be writing my paper this weekend on Orwell.

I watched Fritz Lang's 1931 crime-thriller M starring Peter Lorre. This German-language film was fascinating for many reasons, not limited to it's subject matter - it's part serial killer film, part police procedural, part criminal justice - but also the themes that it raises regarding victim and predator. Very interesting. Of course a couple years later, the Nazis would kick Lang out of Germany and ban the film for ostensibly being "anti-death penalty."

With my dad gone, and me doing a fair bit of reading lately, I've been dipping into his classical music collection. I always enjoyed listening to it, but never had to actively seek it out because my dad would have it playing in the car, in his office, &c. Recently I've listened to Hector Berlioz's La Carnaval romain and Symphonie fantastique, and Beethoven's Piano Sonatas Nos. 8, 2, and 23. Listening to the piano work on the Beethoven sonatas was amazing. Given my interest in piano recently, I think I need to track down some Glenn Gould.

Also, I've been listening to much White Stripes (White Blood Cells) and The Black Keys (thickfreakness and Rubber Factory). Some of my favourite tracks are "10 AM Automatic", "The Lengths", "Hard Row", "Have Love Will Travel" and, for the Stripes, "Fell In Love With A Girl".

5 Comments:

At 12:03 p.m., Blogger Kevin Ziegler said...

I remember reading Animal Farm in the middle of elementary school and being upset when they sent Boxer off to the glue factory, poor poor old horse. The next time I see a live pig i think i'll punch it in the face.

I don't know if you ever saw the animated version of Animal Farm, but its absolute sheeeeeite. At the end of the movie the animals rise up against Napoleon, create a new utopian society and there is all sorts of joyous singing, dancing, rainbows and other obnoxious nonesense. Whoever directed that movie has no soul.

 
At 5:47 p.m., Blogger cait said...

Not "Set You Free"? "Girl Is On My Mind"? "The Desperate Man"? I love that last one . . . if sex were a song it would totally be "the Desperate Man."

 
At 12:39 a.m., Blogger Anders said...

Cait, I said "some of" not "all". Those are all great songs, and infact I'm begining to love both of those albums.

 
At 9:06 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have had people in a few of my classes contend that re-reading is useless -- I find that re-reading offers me so mucb more -- first readings for me give me very little in the way of true critical thought, as I'm often playing with different hypotheses on a first reading before fleshing them out on a second or even third reading. But maybe I'm just slow -- sorry your 'breaks' article got cut back a bunch this week and didn't run last -- great article but lately we've been suffering from an over-powering amount of ads --

Damn The Man --
Cheers,
Dave

 
At 4:52 a.m., Blogger Dean Ziegler said...

I was just listening to this album today. Marvin Gaye is the coolest fucker in the entire world. Why did his father have to shoot him in the face? why?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home