Monday, October 25, 2004

J'ai Demande A La Lune

No, I don't speak French. Nor do I know what the exact translation for the phrase is - other than it involves "demanding" something from the "moon" - though, knowing the French perhaps I don't want to know.

Actually, "J'ai Demande A La Lune" is the title to a song by the French Euro-Rock group Indochine, off their album Paradize. I don't own the album, but I really like the song - and the cover to the album - and it's become a mainstay on my playlists over the past year or so. My brother came across the song in one of his French classes and we both took a lovin' to it. Funny how those kinds of things happen.


What a cover? Only in France.

Another song that I randomly stumbled upon is "Sun+Moon=Tomorrow" by Ivana Santilli - who if all goes well I will have the opportunity to interview for The Sheaf tomorrow via phone. I came across the song while having one of my not-so-rare sleepless nights flipping channels and laying on my bed. When I came across the video on Much More Music I stopped and was transfixed. I don't know what it was exactly about the song - other than my love for Jazz and Electronica - that caused me to love it so much, but I had to know who and what it was.

Amazon.ca describes the album as " a sensual blend of drum n' bass, soul and R&B wrapped into easily accessible pop songs." I think that's a fair description, though I believe some of her work would fit into the Jazz Fusion category - though admittedly it's a pretty fluid genre; Martin, Medeski & Wood are found under "Jazz" at a&b, while St. Germain is under "Electronica."

If anyone knows where I can find some good Jazz and Electronica, let me know, as I don't get out to shows much, and its not something that gets extensive coverage in Rolling Stone or on Much Music.

5 Comments:

At 3:05 p.m., Blogger Anders said...

I would take suggestions in all three categories of course. It's easier to find information on Jazz however, so probably need more help with Electronica. Though, I suppose I'm not as completely ignorant as I might seem - thanks to the likes of people such as yourself. That's probably the best way to find stuff out - from your friends.

 
At 4:28 p.m., Blogger cait said...

Have you heard the rest of "Brown" by Ivana Santilli, or her new album, "Corduroy Boogie"? I don't know if I would have called her electronica, but then, I'm not very well-versed in the genre. The only electronica I really know is David Holmes, who I enjoy, but I'm sure you've already come across his music--I especially liked his work on the new Ocean's Eleven, because it combined many of the musical sensibilities of the first Ocean's Eleven (the Rat Pack's) with the modern twist of electronic music. Richard Moody is also a really interesting jazz musician (he plays jazz viola); he incorporates a lot of different elements into his music.

This might sound strange, but someone who Ivana Santilli is very reminiscent of is Jamiroquai, especially his more recent albums, "Synkronized" and "A Funk Odyssey." His music is more "dance" than hers is, but there are a lot of similarities. They have that same jazzy, smooth funk feel to their tracks.

 
At 8:09 p.m., Blogger Anders said...

Funny that you should mention Ivana Santilli Caitlin. I got to interview her earlier this evening, and yes I have checked out some more of "Brown." It's great. After the interview I'm inclined to check out "Corduroy Boogie" as well, for something a little bit more funk influenced.

Speaking of which, yes, I'm already a fan of Jamiroquai. Good suggestion. Also, I have the soundtracks to Ocean's 11 and Out of Sight which are both by David Holmes. I enjoy them both.

Ewan, again some good picks. I'm already a fan of Air-Moon Safari (though I have yet to pick up the album) as well as Basement Jaxx and Chemical Brothers (agree that Dig Your Own Hole is a classic). I'm definitely going to have to look up Theivery Corporation, as I've heard good things.

Thanks all for your help. Perhaps I'm not as uneducated as I thought.

 
At 8:37 p.m., Blogger cait said...

Okay--well I feel like a tool for having suggested a bunch of stuff you already like--I am SO jealous you got to interview Ivana Santilli! She's one of my favourite female artists. I await her concert with baited breath--

As to jazz, I was noticing there was no mention of Brubeck, Oscar Peterson Trio, or Dizzy Gillespie on this page (see, now I need to suggest something else); Brubeck is definitely "musician's music:" it's intellectual jazz, but for the jazz fan, it's worth a look. Bit of trivia: my dad used to live upstairs from Oscar Peterson when he was in Montreal (another bit of trivia: that was during the FLQ crisis). It's good, old school--the kind of soft moody midnight jazz that they play on CBC2 into the early hours. And of course, you gotta love Dizzy. You have to respect a man who blows his horn so hard his cheek muscles tear irrevocably.

And, this has little to do with jazz, but Howlin' Wolf is a must-have for every respectable album collection, or so says I, especially "the London Howlin' Wolf Sessions," which features Eric Clapton, Steve Winwood, Ringo Starr, Bill Wyman and Charlie Watts. It's New Orleans blues, which incorporates a bit of jazz and a lot of soul.

Okay, I hope I've told you something useful this time.

 
At 8:56 p.m., Blogger Anders said...

Definitely useful. Thank you.

And that thing about your dad and Oscar Petersen is trés cool.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home