Saturday, October 16, 2004

A Sick New Addiction

Well, there's no denying that it's compulsive and feeds into my love of movie trivia. I might as well admit that I've played over 129 games of Movie Hangman at Box Office Mojo over the past couple of days. Actually, I find that entire site and it's useless trivia completely entertaining. Some people like to keep track of baseball scores and statistics. Me, every Sunday night I check the studio estimates, every Monday the actuals for the weekend box office. Some might find it strange, but really it's no stranger than someone's love for baseball statistics. So, yeah I'm predicting a $22 million dollar opening weekend for Team America: World Police, so let's see how I do come Monday.

3 Comments:

At 1:46 a.m., Blogger cait said...

22 million? Is that American or International? I'm assuming it's NOT Canadian . . . I've never had a head for statistics myself, though I do have a fun fact from the Hundred Years War (courtesy of Professor McCannon): at the battle of Agincourt, approximately half of the infantry and missile troops in the grievously outnumbered English army were suffering from dysentry. I'm sure that was a very pleasant morning for "we few, we happy few, we band of brothers . . . "

 
At 12:26 p.m., Blogger Anders said...

The $22 million is N. American box office, as most films open first in Canada and the US, then move overseas in a staggered release (unless it's something like Lord of the Rings and then it opens everywhere at once).

Anyway, it looks like I'm wrong. The Friday estimates for Team America were only $4.6 million, so it looks like it will finish the weekend with a $12-15 million take. I guess I overestimated the popularity of puppets.

 
At 2:06 p.m., Blogger cait said...

I didn't think it was possible to overestimate the popularity of puppets. But then, you are talking to a huge fan of the muppets. Did you go to see Team America: World Police?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home