Friday, November 19, 2004

"Ain't Life Grand?"

I am still interested in responding to some of Caitlin's comments regarding the Star Wars Prequels, however, I'm just not in the argumentive mood at the moment.

Saw a couple of new films over the past few days. Just finished watching Bonnie and Clyde mere minutes ago. It's a really good film and important too in helping usher in the the filmmaking revolution of the 1970s. Warren Beatty is really good, and Faye Dunaway is just gorgeous in this one - even though it's set in the 30s, she can't help but look like a hot 60s chick, and there's something about her that just does it for me. Of course, this was one of the first films that was really violent, had anti-heroes for the protagonists and all that, but Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow still come out feeling like real people. All in all, a highly recommended film.

Saw Jamie Foxx in Ray on Tuesday night. The reason I mention Jamie Foxx first is because the hype is deserved. This guy is the real deal. After Collateral and then this amazing perfomance, he's guarenteed an Oscar nod. Overall I found the film to be solid, but nothing fantastic. I think that in the hands of a stronger director than Taylor Hackford (Proof of Life) the film could have been something more, but it does little to transcend the "biopic" genre in the way that a film like A Beautiful Mind did. But Jamie Foxx is really good, so I'm willing to forgive certain things. And of course Ray Charles music helps make the movie an enjoyable experience in itself.

Ewan introduced me and Anton to Mr. Show yesterday, the HBO sketch-comedy series by Bob Odenkirk and David Cross. David Cross is hilarious. Odenkirk is inspired. Their comedy is right up my alley and the show is creative and clever, while still maintaining a juvenlia about that I find appealing. They take everything that is wrong with a lot of the sketches on SNL these days and do it better. Of course, the show aired on HBO from 1995-98, so DVD is pretty much the only way to enjoy this unless you catch the re-runs on the Comedy Network. However, I'll heartily endorse it. Also, Tom Kenny - who is about to become a legitimit movie star today, albeit in the form of voicing a character who lives in a pineapple under the sea - is one of the supporting characters in Mr. Show, and because I love Tom Kenny, that makes it great.

Oh, and one more thing: Halo 2 is consuming my life. When I got home from school today, during my break before I went to work, I was expecting to get some reading done, or eat, or something constructive. But no. I played Halo 2 online with my cousin for an hour and a half. Then I came home from work and before I watched the movie, I played some more Halo. It's a sickness I tell you, but it's so damn good.

1 Comments:

At 10:27 a.m., Blogger cait said...

Argumentative? Me? Pshaw . . .

 

Post a Comment

<< Home