Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Cat Stevens and Other Reflections

I'm back into listening to Cat Stevens, probably in part because I saw the LP of Cat Steven's Greatest Hits at Brad's the other night, so I dug out my CD copy and have been listening to it again. He is one of the greats of Folk Rock. The other thing that makes him great is his voice, it has this difficult to describe quality to it. He also was able to cover such a range with his music from the early pop-rock sounds of "Here Comes My Baby", which was featured in Rushmore. "Morning Has Broken" is one of the most amazing reditions of a hymn that I have ever heard. It's full of such glory that it does make you appreciate life. The quiet brilliance of "The Wind" is one of his best known songs, and for good reason. Cat Stevens is definitely one of my favourites of all time.

There's just something so enjoyable about his recordings. I'm really happy that Yusuf Islam has realized that he was wrong about his strict interpretations of Islamic law regarding the recording of non-religious music. It makes me happy, because it would have been a shame to lose him. And now there are rumours that he's going to record something new. Could be interesting.

--

Also Anton wanted me to pass on that PC Dijon Mustard is really good. He's right. It's probably one of the best dijons that I've had. Just perfect to add that kick to a really good sandwich.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home