Wednesday, January 12, 2005

damn surveys, why are they so much fun?

Since both Caitlin and Joel have posted their answers to this survey thing, I feel compelled to do the same, since they are always such fun. Also, since they are so similar it'll be fun to see how similar I am too.

Three Names You Go By:

1) Anders
2) uh, Andrewse, Andres, Änders and other mangling's of pronunciation that I dislike
3) "Mr. Nerdstrom and Mr. Boogerstrom are also acceptable" (Good ol' Simpsons)

Three Things You Like About Yourself

1) I'm intelligent
2) I'm attractive
3) I'm a relatively good person

Three Things You Hate About Yourself

1) I'm lazy
2) I'm a bad friend
3) I'm arrogant

Three Parts of Your Heritage

1) Swedish
2) German
3) Canadian

Three Things You're Afraid Of

1) Clowns
2) Failure
3) Living a meaningless existence

Three of Your Everyday Essentials

1) A shower (or else I just don't feel right)
2) Coca-cola Classic
3) Music/Movies

Three Things Your Are Wearing Right Now

1) Glasses
2) Boxers
3) Blue Track-jacket

Three of Your Favourite Bands

1) The Beatles
2) Radiohead
3) U2

Three of Your Favourite Songs at the Present

1) "Big Sur" by The Thrills
2) "City of Blinding Lights" by U2
3) "Hyper-ballad" by Björk

Three Things You Want to Try in the Next 12 Months

1) Writing a feature-length screenplay
2) Finally learning to play my guitar
3) Travelling to Rome and London

Two Truths & A Lie

1) My DVD collection is valued at over US$ 7000
2) I'm still not over my ex-girlfriend
3) I want to stay in Saskatoon for the rest of my life

Three Things You Just Can't Do

1) Live in Saskatoon forever
2) Start working on a paper more than 2 days before it's due
3) Bring myself to like the Shrek movies

Three of Your Favourite Hobbies

1) Watching/reading-about/talking-about/writing-about film
2) Collecting/reading comic books
3) Playing Halo

Three Things You Really Want to Do Really Badly Right Now

1) Go get a cup of tea at Browsers
2) Move to New York and become a screenwriter
3) Find true love

Three Careers You're Considering

1) Writer/Director
2) Journalist
3) English professor

Three Places You Want to Go on Vacation

1) Tokyo
2) London
3) New York

Three Things You Want to Do Before You Die

1) Become an acclaimed filmmaker
2) Find true love
3) Write a truly great novel

4 Comments:

At 10:53 p.m., Blogger cait said...

You know, honestly, why don't you and Joel and I all just drop out of university and go to film school with my sister? Why are you applying to McGill? Why am I finishing my degree? We could all form a production company together (with Anton, if he's interested) and you and Anton can work on the significant, epic end of things, and Swambo and I can do the quirky offbeat funny indie style movies, and Joel can go back and forth and be his eclectic, amazing self. Yeah, I haven't actually consulted anyone about this, but we should really look into it, I think . . .

Speaking of true love, I'm listening to the song, "Tell Me, What Is True Love?" by Bert Jansch. It's very sweet, a folk take on McCartney-esque love songs.

The concept of true love in real life has always eluded me. In fiction, it's dead easy: immediate and urgent. But what is true love in real life? Might as well refer to some Jansch, actually:

"Tell me what is true love,
tell me how shall I know?
Shall there be a sign like Autumn,
that brings the Winter with its snow?"

Not very uplifting, really . . .

 
At 11:17 p.m., Blogger Anders said...

Actually, the main reason I'm not anxious to drop out of university and go to film school is that I'm not convinced that film school is the way to become a great director. After looking seriously looking into it, attending a seminar, and even getting accepted to the Vancouver Film School (at which point I decided I wanted to finish my English degree), I'm not convinced that they'll teach us anything other than to become a "part of the system." That said, I may end up doing it, but I want to establish myself as a writer and Indie director first.

But as for the creating of a film collective, that's a brilliant idea. I learned today that our new computer arrives on Mon/Tues next week and then Anton and myself can begin editing (we already have the camera).

 
At 12:34 p.m., Blogger cait said...

See, I totally go in for the John Waters type of fame, too . . . the thing is, as a director, you're not subject to the same sort of press that actors/musicians are, because you're not in the front; people don't see you. The only people who really know who you are are the people who are interested in the field; the type of people you WANT to know who you are, you know?

As to film school: I know what you mean, Anders; most of the people in film I admire are the ones who just sort of "fell into" the medium.

However, I think that it would also be a good experience to go to film school, because it teaches you the basics, that you would have to learn no matter what, like issues of finance, dealing with unions, the nuts and bolts of technology, etc., etc., and I think learning that from someone who knows what they're talking about (as opposed to fumbling through it yourself) would be really valuable. It's kind of the same way I feel about music; if you plan to learn the instrument, get some theory. It will make your life infinitely easier, because you'll know "All My Loving" is in a mode (I think Mixolidian), and so recreating a similar feel in one of your songs would be much simpler.

 
At 9:40 p.m., Blogger Anders said...

Hey, I never said I don't like the spotlight. I have a feeling that I'd be a Tarantino or Kevin Smith type of director personality. All I know is that I'd have NO problem talking about my own movies.

As for film school,

"Hmmm...difficult to see. Always in motion is the future."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home