Thursday, January 27, 2005

The Limit

I played shinny (hockey for the uneducated) last night with my man Luke down on Broadway at the Victoria school rink, across from the Hose. It was tons of fun. I hadn't played hockey like that in a couple of years. Luke, who blogs here, I ran into at Blockbuster on 8th St. (where I was doing more DVD trading and picked up Collateral and Before Sunset). Later, Luke called me up and said that his mom and bunch of others who work on Broadway were playing shinny and I could come. One of the guys was a janitor or something for Victoria school, so we got to have music on the outside speakers. It was just a good ol' fashioned game of shinny and I remembered the joy of hockey.

Of course the danger of playing on ice with boots is that you fall a lot. The game is not without risks. I also shot the ball (frozen and hard) into the nose of this older lady that was playing goal on the other team. I guess I just got too into it and was trying to go top corner. Anyway, apparently they play every Wednesday night, so I may have to go back sometime.

--

Later last night (I know, what happened to working on the Dr. Jekyll presentation? Well that didn't happen until about midnite) we watched Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. It's just such a fun movie, I enjoyed it possibly more the second time.

I think part of my enjoyment comes from seeing someone turn their imagination into reality, sucessfully. I know some people won't dig Sky Captain, and that's ok, but for as a filmmaker it really struck home the possibilities of the new technologies. I remember back to a discussion with Caitlin and Swambo about digital technology and the dark side of CGI. Sky Captain shows me the bright side. Kerry Conran was just a regular guy like me who came with 6 minutes of footage on his Mac to show to Paramount executives. On the strength of that they gave him a $30 million budget and cast Jude Law and Gwyneth Paltrow. Thirty years ago that would not have happened (Ewan, I know you're reading Easy Riders right now so you know that's the truth). Digital technology has levelled the playground.

Now, the only limit is your imagination.

2 Comments:

At 12:03 p.m., Blogger Luke said...

I loved sky Captain, lats night. I'm glad i finally sat down and watched it. It seems to have been one of those films that i kept putting off. Despite some cgi moments that i didn't like(the giant saber tooth tiger bones) the technology really lends it's self well to the hyper styilized world of tommorow. Although i must stress gain, the importance of texture. Art in comics,film,video games etc. is becomming to smooth and plasticy. I know how difficult it is to create these digital characters,sets,map paintings, but come on people Texture, texture texture, bring it to life. I was also inspired by the way the director was able to bring his ideas into been. I built upon this feeling watching the making of indiana jones, and star wars, and now I want to make a film with you, or at least a comic. somthing very visual. Yeah might not happen,might not have thew time, but i'm geared up to do somthing. Let me know if you have any ideas

 
At 7:19 p.m., Blogger cait said...

I love rinks. I was always shit at broom ball and shinny, but I had a lot of fun when I was a kid at neighbourhood rinks playing half made-up sports in the evening when the rink lights were on.

Also: Swambo suggested to me that "Sky Captain" seems to be how far we can take CGI right now. We got talking about all the itty bitty, production light movies that we love so much. I'm kind of hoping that we can begin to use CGI for more than just all of these movies of epic proportion that are sometimes just not very good (not that Sky Captain is crud; I've not seen it, so I don't know).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home