Wednesday, January 26, 2005

More ignorance of the masses...

Caitlin writes here about listening to other people's conversations and being pissed off by their ignorance.

Unfortunately these are not isolated incidents; they occur quite regularly. And they are not always particularly serious. As a movie fan, I'm subjected to hearing people make stupid, uneducated comments about movies that I love. So, yesterday I was in Future Shop (stroke one; I guess I should have expected that kind of thing there) picking up a couple of new DVDs that arrived yesterday, those being Batman: The Animated Series - Vol. 2 (my favourite TV show of all time) and Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow.

As I picked up my copy of Sky Captain off the display and moved over to the rest of the new release section I notice two twentysomething-year old guys wander up to the display and make the following comments.

"Man, I heard this movie is stupid."
"I don't know, I figure it might be ok if you just turn your brain off and sit back."
"Who cares? Let's see if they have it..."

My initial reaction is that they are a couple of guys who just can't enjoy the pure child-like enjoyment of Sky Captain. Then I discover what it is.

"Where's Alien vs. Predator, dude?"

Arrrrggggghhhh. This is the kind of thing that just sickens me to know end. First of all they pass judgement on one of the most creative films of the year, then they proceed to pick of a piece of trash that from all accounts is a disgrace to the rest of the respective series and nothing but underwhelming action sequences strung together with forgettable human characters.

I lament for our generation.

---

On a related note, why is it that every time there's a free t-shirt give away it's always so damn'd huge! I can't wear an XL t-shirt. It's like a dresss on me. Why do they just assume that everyone is some massive beast like the comic book guy? It's sad. I would actually enjoy wearning a Sky Captain shirt, but I'm not built like Harry Knowles.

"I would like to return this belt that I won at a local Star Trek convention. The average Trekker has no use for a medium-size belt." - Comic Book Guy, The Simpsons

1 Comments:

At 12:14 a.m., Blogger Anders said...

Actually, Joel, it's one of those things where you just automatically get the shirt when you buy it. Anyway, it's just hard to find clothes for people my size anywhere. Probably almost as hard for people who are really big. I just figured they could have a few different sizes of shirts available when they give them out. I guess that would be hassle, but it would make me happy.

Oh, and Hil (I hope you don't mind me calling you that) thanks for the tip. I'll try that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home