Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Sometimes Hollywood makes me really, really sad. It's the part of being an obsessive movie fan that is really depressing. Take these two trailers for example.

Here's the trailer for Fox's big budget Fantastic Four film. This makes me cry. The effects look retarded for one (anyone wanna tell me why Reed slips his hand under the door to open it when he could just slide underneath?), especially the ridiculous Michael-Chiklis-wearing-obviously-rubber-orange-suit (poor Chiklis, from what I've heard he's a good actor [e.g. The Shield] who doesn't deserve this humiliation). I'm just not looking forward to this at all from the casting - Jessica Alba as Sue Storm? - to the retooling of one of the greatest comic book villians of all time. It's just sad. And that ridiculous tagline "1 will be bad, 4 will be fantastic." Stan Lee wrote better stuff and his original stuff was cheezy as hell. Oh well, at least we already have a legitimately great superhero-family movie in The Incredibles.

Someone tell me who thought it would be a good idea to remake The Pink Panther without Peter Sellers? This trailer is even more disturbing than the last one because it isn't just poorly executed, it's just a flat-out bad idea that should never have been made. It makes me really, really mad to think about this movie. If you're brave enough to watch that trailer, you'll see that Steve Martin does indeed suck, and his Inspector Clouseau is a caricature of a caricature of a Frenchman. Sad, sad, sad. Even sadder that the likes of Jean Reno and Kevin Kline had to get mixed up in that pile of shit.

10 Comments:

At 5:52 p.m., Blogger cait said...

Kevin Kline is in it? Why would he do that? What is this world coming to? Oh, I weep for the movie going public; even "Son of the Pink Panther" was a lot of a stretch. Whoever thought that Steve Martin could fill Peter Sellers' shoes? What's next, Tom Green in Dr. Strangelove?

 
At 11:51 p.m., Blogger Anders said...

That may indeed by true, I personally however have never seen a Steve Martin movie that I really enjoyed at all. But I completely agree with you that comedy is hard and that comedians deserve respect. I've been a champion for guys like Bill Murray and Jim Carrey, even Jamie Foxx is a comedian, so I'm not unsympathetic to that cause at all.

Perhaps you can point me to a Steve Martin film that I will enjoy (noting that I didn't care at all for Cheaper By the Dozen)? I've heard that Roxanne is good but haven't seen it(an adaption of Cyrano D'Bergerac, non?).

 
At 12:19 a.m., Blogger cait said...

"Roxanne" is okay . . . the one to watch, I think, is "Pennies From Heaven." Indeed, Steve Martin was once good (All OF Me, Little Shop Of Horrors, a very strange cameo in Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band), but I seriously don't know what's happened to him. He was dead brilliant on the old SNL, but he seems to have gone downhill since "Mixed Nuts."

 
At 12:20 a.m., Blogger cait said...

Oh, and his novel "Shopgirl" was surprisingly good--not comedy, but really interesting. I'm not sure how they're going to turn it into a movie, though.

 
At 12:33 a.m., Blogger Anders said...

Ugh, I hated the Sgt. Pepper movie. Sickening.

 
At 10:31 a.m., Blogger Anders said...

M*A*S*H does indeed rule. And no, I haven't seen The Jerk, which may explain a lot.

 
At 4:41 p.m., Blogger cait said...

You didn't like Sgt. Pepper? What?! How can you not like it? It's so bad!

 
At 12:16 a.m., Blogger Anders said...

No, you get me wrong I didn't "not like the Sgt. Pepper movie", I "fuckin' hated that piece of shit using the hallow'd name of Sgt. Pepper so much that I had to turn it off." That's what I really meant.

 
At 10:05 a.m., Blogger cait said...

ha! Actually, I thought it had its moments; I mean, obviously it was terrible, but that's why it was so good.

 
At 11:43 a.m., Blogger Anders said...

There's a really suitable quote from the movie Ghostworld (which I love).

"This is so bad it's almost good."
"This is so bad it's gone past good and back to bad again."

I think appropriate in many instances.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home