Sunday, January 16, 2005

Sunday Evening Business

Well, I just finished my travel proposal for the Hannon Travel Scholarship. When I first considered applying for this I thought, "Heck, if they're going to give me $5500 to go somewhere, it's worth a shot." Now after doing the research and finishing the itinerary, budget, etc. I'm really excited and hope that I get one (six are awarded this year, here's hoping).

My proposal was for a trip to London, a place I've never been, but I really want to go to. Heck, there's a part of me that would love to live in London. Every time I watch a movie that takes place there I think how cool it is. Well, at least this would let me experience London for myself. Anton got to go in 2000, and I was so jealous. I used his photos and itinerary as a guide when I planned this one out. I'm trying to convince him to come along with me again, if I go this summer. As my dad has often told me after coming back from one of his conferences (in exotic locales like Japan, Turkey, or Spain), "Travelling alone is no fun." So if Anton can't get the money, I'm hoping someone else will want to come with me. Anyone game?

--
Watched part of the Golden Globe Awards. I know a lot of you out there won't really care at all about it, but as I've said before, Award season is for movie fans what the playoffs are for sports fans. In the end you'll do a lot of bitching and whinging about films that win and films that don't, but that's the fun of it.

The Aviator and Sideways were the big winners tonight. I'm predicting that one of those two or Million Dollar Baby will be the big winner come Oscars. Robin Williams gave one of the best award acceptance speeches I've seen tonight when he got the Cecil B. DeMille lifetime achievement award. He is always on.

--
I know a lot of people don't like Coldplay and find them bland and uninspiring, but I'm listening to Parachutes right now as I write this. More specifically I'm listening to the song "Shiver" on repeat over and over and over again. I don't know what it is but I'm addicted to it. It's really a great pop rock song. It's not a happy song, but it has an energy all its own. I think the driving guitar along with the desperate lyrics gives it a certain feel, but then again, I'm not a musician, but as Joel said once, for pop music feeling is important. I'm like that with music and movies. I love atmosphere and mood. And like it or not, Coldplay creates a mood with their music.

"And it's you I see, but you don't see me.

And it's you I hear, so loud and clear.
I sing it loud and clear.
And I'll always be waiting for you,.

So I look in your direction,
But you pay me no attention,
And you know how much I need you,
But you never even seen me. "

Coldplay, "Shiver"

4 Comments:

At 10:28 a.m., Blogger cait said...

I am dying to go to England, myself--Swambo and I have a plan tripped for this May. However, I don't think it is necessarily bad to go by oneself--my dad's been to England twice by himself, and he had a very good time; he met some interesting people (Lawrence, a taxi driver, whom he still keeps in touch with), and has the most fascinating travel diaries. Of course, he was there doing research for a book, which might have affected things.
--
I'm not sure why you're assuming everyone's going to hate Coldplay; of all the bands to consider "a guilty pleasure" I think Coldplay is low on the list. They're a solid band (though if "Yellow" weren't her and Chad's 'song,' Swambo would probably call them inoffensive)

 
At 12:07 p.m., Blogger Anders said...

I reason I prefaced Coldplay like that, and I do like Coldplay, was that several people I know (including Ewan) really don't like them. I think it has less to do with them being talentless and more to do with them being overplayed on the radio. Of course, I don't really listen to the radio so I don't get sick of stuff the same as others do. Personally I still think that "Clocks" is a great single.

 
At 2:41 p.m., Blogger Anders said...

Sorry Ewan, I thought I remembered you saying something about A Rush of Blood To the Head that was sitting on my desk once. Hmmmm. Maybe nobody I know hates Coldplay? Maybe it's just some critics that I read somewhere. WTF?

Allrighty then. It's settled. Coldplay is good. I'm happy.

 
At 3:05 p.m., Blogger cait said...

I love the video for "Yellow!" Ed the Sock made this huge thing about it being pedantic and intellectual and British and stupid, and usually I think Ed the Sock is absolutely right (I love Ed the Sock), but that time I thought he was wrong--also when he made fun of the Beasties' new album.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home