Thursday, December 09, 2004

nothing like a good movie to get you in the Xmas spirit

So, Ewan came over tonight to chill with me and Anton and take a break from exams, but instead of watching a movie, as was originally planned, we just ended up talking for 3+ hours. It's always a blast because we all have so much to say and you always learn something new about movies, music and stuff. I imagine, however, that it would be humourous for someone else to listen to us, because each of us always has something to say and we're always interrupting each other, not because we're rude, but rather because we're just so damn excited about what we have to say. And that's a good thing.

--

After, Anton and I watched Die Hard, because we were in the mood for a good Christmas movie. I hadn't seen this since high school, and never on DVD, so it was a good time. Honestly, John McClane rules. He gets so badly beaten in this film that he would give Mel Gibson's Jesus a good run for the title. He gets bruised, blackened, shot in the shoulder, runs across glass in his bare feet, jumps off a building and gets slammed into the side (after he's been shot in the shoulder mind you), and the at the end he just goes off in the limo with his wife Holly. Now that's a hero!

Seriously though, Die Hard is one of those perfect action films. It doesn't take itself too seriously, and has plenty of memorable lines ("Yippee Kiyay Motherfucker!"), but never crosses the line into self-parody or becomes just a mess of unrelated stunt pieces. It's got some great moments and of course, no commentary would be complete without mentioning another grand performance by Hans Gruber himself, Alan Rickman (I'm sure one of my fellow blogger people can appreciate that, right rabies? Though I still don't understand what women find attractive about him? Don't think I ever will or want to). But seriously, Alan Rickman plays awesome villians, and Hans Gruber is among his best. One of the greats. I'd forgotten what a solid movie this is. I may have to pick up the Die Hard Trilogy DVDs one of these days...

--

Oh, and all you Star Wars fans should be prepared. It's a moment I've long dreaded and longed for, in a sick and twisted kind of way, like seeing one's loved ones in a really bad play: The "Star Wars Holiday Special", which first aired on CBS in 1978 and was then subsequently hidden by Lucas is going to be on ZeD tomorrow night, November 9, on CBC during "The Penultimate Holiday Special" sometime after 11:25 pm. I know I'm going to be recording this trainwreck, merely for the historicity of seeing Chewie's family on Kashyyyk, Carrie Fisher's singing voice, and Bea Arthur. Also playing will be the excellent short film "George Lucas in Love" which is actually fairly clever and worthwhile seeing as well. Hopefully this isn't some cruel joke and CBC actually delivers.

3 Comments:

At 10:42 a.m., Blogger cait said...

Wow, I am so there for the Star Wars Xmas special, if I can get my TV to work . . .

Also, just wanted to let you know, that not all women want to jump Alan Rickman (I think we've had this conversation before, but I thought I'd put it so the world could read it). In fact, what with Bea and Rabies' obsessions, I am slowly beginning to actively dislike Alan Rickman. With women, there seems to be this group of men that you have to, by law, be attracted to. These include (but are not limited to): Sean Connery, Harrison Ford, Alan Rickman, Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise, Robert Redford, and Antonio Banderas. And you know what? I really don't get any of them.

 
At 1:47 p.m., Blogger cait said...

Wow, Ewan, that's kind of . . . strange.

But on the subject of John McClane, I was going through the Grudge Match(tm) archive whilst taking an essay break, and I found John McClane vs. the Death Star at

http://www.grudge-match.com/History/mcclane-deathstar.shtml

I thought you might be interested; I won't tell you who wins.

 
At 12:05 p.m., Blogger Fionncara MacEoin said...

Okay just to clarify something...I am only after Alan Rickman...the rest of that list I have no interest in....Alan and I are in a class by ourselves...Caitlin...hmph...
Also...yes he is amazing in Die Hard....isnt he!
Alan plays a good villain, and villains are hot...also his voice is well...THE VOICE...I dunno man...if you dont get it...I guess you just dont get it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home