Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Wine and Zombies

I had a good time tonight. Still another quiet night at home, but I'm getting the feeling that I'm going to be enundated with social gatherings over the next two weeks, so a solid night watching movies with a couple old friends is always a good way to have fun and keep things low key.

My good friend Luke is back in town for the Christmas break. He's currently studying animation in Mirimashi, NB, so I don't get to see too much of him usually, but it's always a good time to see him and play a little DOA3 (Hitomi is my girl!). Danny came over, because I figured he could use a break from studying for finance. We ended up watching Shaun of the Dead (for a second time), and drinking wine - well, me and Danny at any rate.

Shaun of the Dead is probably my favourite "Film from 2004 that is destined to become a cult classic." I love it. After watching it again, I realized that I'll probably have to buy the thing tomorrow, and it's safe to because I know my mom won't get it for me for Christmas cuz she hates zombie stuff. For those who haven't seen it, Shaun was advertised as the original Zom-Rom-Com, that is a Zombie Romantic Comedy. It's damn funny, in that British way (and was written and stars the folks who produced the show Spaced in the UK). I love that kind of stuff (I even bought Love Actually previously viewed the other day, cuz I dug it). But I also love zombie movies, especially the George A. Romero ones (Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead). So this film was great, because it's funny, it treats its characters somewhat seriously (we actually care about Shaun and Liz and their relationship) but it also takes the zombie stuff pretty seriously (and it's pretty seriously gory too). I think that's important about it, the fact that it's not the zombies, but rather peoples reactions to the zombies, that makes it humourous. It never crosses over into camp, but is still wildly funny.

7 Comments:

At 12:21 p.m., Blogger Fionncara MacEoin said...

alan rickman is in Love Actually....its great...I dnno how much I like the movie...it just has a LOT of my favourite actors/actress(emma thompson)...in it...but I havent seen Shaun of the Dead...

 
At 12:28 p.m., Blogger rochelle laura knox said...

funny thing. you've already hung out with my lukey and i haven't even seen him! if you talk to lukas you can tell him i'll see him at lunch on thursday at grandma's and that i'm going to slaughter him at monopoly, risk, and whatever other game we play. :)

 
At 12:42 p.m., Blogger cait said...

I can't decide whether I like "Love Actually" or not; the first time I saw it I had built it up in my head so much, because it had so many actors that I liked (Bill Nighy, Martin Freeman, Emma Thompson, Liam Neeson, etc.) and I have seen so many Working Title productions that it was almost inevitable that it was going to be a let down, really. I liked it more the second time I saw it. I still don't know, though.

 
At 1:07 p.m., Blogger Anders said...

Shaun of the Dead is a Working Title production too.

 
At 1:26 p.m., Blogger cait said...

The only Working Title production that I can say definitively that I haven't liked was--okay, I actually can't think of one. But the new production of Pride and Prejudice does make me nervous. I think they are actually one of my favourite production companies; from sweet romantic comedies (the Matchmaker, Love Actually) to thoughtful drama (the Man Who Cried, Billy Elliot) to odd but amazing (Coen brothers films from the Hudsucker Proxy to the Man Who Wasn't There, Bob Roberts) to anything you can well imagine, they just seem to make good movies. I mean, some of their first films were Sid and Nancy and My Beautiful Laundrette; they did High Fidelity and Plunkett & Macleane. And now I will stop singing their praises, because this isn't an advertisement. It seems, though, that half of my favourite films produced after 1984 were done by Working Title.

 
At 5:11 p.m., Blogger Fionncara MacEoin said...

AAAH! Keira Knightley playing Elizabeth....UGH...that does not sound good...anyway why in sam hill are they doing another p&p after the greatness of the mini-series....I dunno, whatch it will be really horrible and totally stray form the books...like Mansfield Park...or Northanger Abbey...ha ha...I still love NA though...

 
At 4:37 p.m., Blogger cait said...

Well, someone has done an adaptation every 10 years or so since the 1930s, so even though the Ehle/Firth version is obviously definitive, they probably figure we're due for another version.

It's an uneven cast--there's some good people (Matthew MacFayden, Brenda Blethyn, Judi Dench, Tom Hollander) and there's some questionable people (Keira Knightley, and Donald Sutherland, who is good but can't do an accent to save his life), and few people who could go either way (Rosamund Pike, Jena Malone) then a lot of unknowns. I'm pretty sure I'll be watching it, but I am afeared it will be in the same way that one watches a car-wreck: you can't believeit could happen and you can't look away.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home