Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Rising Star?

Anton and I went to see Blade: Trinity last night, much to Ewan and Ryan's aghast. But it's one of those things where, I thought the first one was merely "ok", and the second one was loads of fun, so despite the horrific reviews (Harry Knowles, now famous, review comparing the film to having one's privates mutilated). But I kinda just had to see it anyway. Just to finish the series, because It's clear, after seeing the film, that the series has no future. I think Guillermo del Toro was wise to move to the Hellboy films after Blade II.

One thing of note, and something that saved the film from being one of the worst of the year, was Ryan Reynolds as Hannibal King (I know, it sounds like a rediculous name, but he is an actual character from Marvel's Nightstalkers comic). Reynolds was amusing in National Lampoon's Van Wilder, a film that I didn't find all that entertaining on the whole. But here, he steals the show from all the other characters, Blade included (yeah, I know, that's not saying much knowing the state of Wesley Snipes career. But before you completely disregard the man, track down Spike Lee's Jungle Fever). Reynolds makes the character his own, and also has some of the best one liners I've heard in a long, long time (though, I should note that the writers seemed to have a facination with the word "fuck" and "dick", just a note).

After the film we were talking, and I thought that Reynolds (who incidently is marrying Alanis Morrisette. Go figure.) would be a prime candidate to get his own superhero franchise. I was thinking that he would be great as Hawkeye in an Avengers film. Anyway, funny enough, I read this morning on movies.com that Reynolds is being considered as the lead in a Flash movie. That's a good idea. I can definitely see him as Wally West, the wisecracking scarlet speedster of the JLA. I would go see that movie.

1 Comments:

At 12:50 p.m., Blogger cait said...

I've actually been kind of informally tracking his career for a few years, since I saw him on "Two Guys a Girl and a Pizza Place" (which was a mediocre show, but he was really good in it). He has a sense of timing in both comedy and drama that is startlingly good; I usually don't agree with his film choices, but he's really not at a point where he can pick and choose yet. I don't think I've ever seen him deliver a bad performance.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home