Saturday, February 05, 2005

Un long dimanche de fiançailles

Even though it was a really snowy night (but I think I'm a pretty good inclement-weather-driver) we braved the elements to go to Broadway and saw A Very Long Engagment, the new film from Jean-Pierre Jeunet (Amélie, Alien Ressurection). It was a pleasant film that probably deserved its Oscar nomination for Best Cinematography. It looked really nice and the performances were good. As Anton put it afterwards, it's kind of like a French version of Cold Mountain set in World War I. And I liked it.

However, the one thought that I took away from the film was that I really should learn to speak French. Especially if I'm going to live in Montreal next year. Not that I couldn't get by without it, but I would feel stupid to live there and not at least attempt to learn the language. I should brush up on my German too. Then I could be "tri-lingual."

I was really surprised in the movie that Jodie Foster had a fairly significant role in the film and she did it entirely in French. I was impressed. If Jodie can do it, so can I.

1 Comments:

At 12:47 p.m., Blogger cait said...

Glad to hear it was a good movie; I may go yet. Though I have to say, you missed a fucking deadly concert.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home