Monday, January 31, 2005

First Things First

A few not so random comments at this late hour.

I didn't mean for the comments here to turn into a huge debate over whether CGI is good/bad/ugly/real/, whatever. I was merely excited about the possibilities open to people who are interested in film. I don't dislike low-key pictures, or anything of that sort. I have extremely wide ranging film tastes and I do enjoy theatre. But the thing that turned me into a film fan was the original Star Wars trilogy. For that reason I will always have a love for FX, spectacle, and visuals (hence I'm also a visual artist, in the loosest sense of the word, and enjoy drawing and such). I however can be a huge paradox and love the most simple character studies, such as Before Sunset or Sideways.

Which leads me to my next post.

4 Comments:

At 10:45 a.m., Blogger Anders said...

I completely understand. I know a lot of music fans who use "overproduced" as a real negative the same way movie fans say "too much CGI." In both cases that's really adding a value judgement to something that is really a rather neutral thing that could go both ways.

 
At 6:19 p.m., Blogger cait said...

dude, were we mad? I wasn't mad . . .

 
At 10:45 p.m., Blogger Anders said...

I know you weren't mad, but I wanted to make it clear that I don't hate the films you're into. I did feel that you think a lot films I like are somehow "less mature" or "less artistic". But then again, film is the one area where I'm liable to take offense and become defensive. It's cuz I care.

 
At 11:02 p.m., Blogger cait said...

Oh, dude, when I say I don't like things, it doesn't mean I don't recognize that they are good. I'm making a value judgement, but I am not the arbiter of taste by any means. I tend to mediate what I say with "I feel" or "it seems to me" because I know that I do not hold a monopoly on judging quality. I can acknowledge the quality in something without actually liking it; i.e., the LOTR movies, Gryphon, Christina Aguilera's singing voice.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home