Monday, January 31, 2005

First Things First

A few not so random comments at this late hour.

I didn't mean for the comments here to turn into a huge debate over whether CGI is good/bad/ugly/real/, whatever. I was merely excited about the possibilities open to people who are interested in film. I don't dislike low-key pictures, or anything of that sort. I have extremely wide ranging film tastes and I do enjoy theatre. But the thing that turned me into a film fan was the original Star Wars trilogy. For that reason I will always have a love for FX, spectacle, and visuals (hence I'm also a visual artist, in the loosest sense of the word, and enjoy drawing and such). I however can be a huge paradox and love the most simple character studies, such as Before Sunset or Sideways.

Which leads me to my next post.

5 Comments:

At 10:13 AM, Blogger Ewan said...

It's somewhat similar, although not entirely analogous, to the use of studio production in music. I was raised on music that was rich in lush studio sounds and i'm still drawn to those sounds. There's lots of great bands that don't have lots of instruments or use alot of "production". But for me, it doesn't get any better than the limitless possibilities that bands like the Beatles explored in the studio. It explains why i like the Bees so much, as they are very much into that exploring the studio thing.

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger Anders said...

I completely understand. I know a lot of music fans who use "overproduced" as a real negative the same way movie fans say "too much CGI." In both cases that's really adding a value judgement to something that is really a rather neutral thing that could go both ways.

 
At 6:19 PM, Blogger cait said...

dude, were we mad? I wasn't mad . . .

 
At 10:45 PM, Blogger Anders said...

I know you weren't mad, but I wanted to make it clear that I don't hate the films you're into. I did feel that you think a lot films I like are somehow "less mature" or "less artistic". But then again, film is the one area where I'm liable to take offense and become defensive. It's cuz I care.

 
At 11:02 PM, Blogger cait said...

Oh, dude, when I say I don't like things, it doesn't mean I don't recognize that they are good. I'm making a value judgement, but I am not the arbiter of taste by any means. I tend to mediate what I say with "I feel" or "it seems to me" because I know that I do not hold a monopoly on judging quality. I can acknowledge the quality in something without actually liking it; i.e., the LOTR movies, Gryphon, Christina Aguilera's singing voice.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home