Thursday, February 24, 2005

One-man Star Wars at the Broadway Theatre

Went to go see the One-man Star Wars show at Broadway tonight. It was ostensibly to write a review for the Sheaf (thus I told the woman at the door and recieved free entry). It was quite enjoyable. He seems to really enjoy himself, and the audience was good too, laughing at the right moments and getting a good number of the in-jokes. He covered all of the original Star Wars Trilogy in just over an hour. He had a good number of jabs at some of the absurdities of the trilogy, including Chewie's lack of medal in A New Hope, and Obi-Wan's chronic lying. All-in-all it is a solid performance.

I liked it, but the thing that keeps me from raving about it is the disturbing thought in the back of my head the entire time that I could do the same thing, probably with minimal practice. I became even more disturbed at myself for noticing when he did a couple musical bits wrong and mispronounced "Toche Station." I am such a geek. Also, a disturbing lack of Ewoks in his Return of the Jedi bit.

Afterwards he talked a bit about how people should keep doing the creative things that they do, how he's going to be performing at the Star Wars Celebration this spring, and how he met Ian McKellen at one of his One-man Lord of the Rings shows. He seems like a pretty decent guy.

4 Comments:

At 12:54 a.m., Blogger Anders said...

Hilary: No, I'm not mad at all. In fact, even though I don't know you really, I'm going to have to invite you to watch the original trilogy sometime. I love seeing people watch them for the first time. Perhaps I'll have to have a night where all the people I know who haven't seen the films watch them. Jessica, who posts on here sometimes, she has seen them either so you're not alone.

Ewan: Yep. Luke gives it an especially drawling "taw-shee" in the film.

 
At 12:55 a.m., Blogger Anders said...

I meant to say that Jessica hasn't seen them. Geez, I can't spell.

 
At 9:19 a.m., Blogger Anders said...

Luke: No offense, but it took you this long to notice Chewie's lack of recognition? I guess I've seriously seen A New Hope over 100 times, so there's almost nothing that surprises me. People always make jokes about it though, I figured you knew all about that.

As for Oscars, people are coming here to watch them, but you are more than welcome to join us.

 
At 1:36 p.m., Blogger cait said...

I find it distressing that not only did Chewie not get a medal, but Peter Mayhew didn't get a percentage of the gross, like Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, and Harrison Ford did.
--
Oscars are going to be an interesting experience at my house this year, because reception is so bad on my TV; I am in the process of constructing a coathanger antenna that hooks onto the blinds.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home