Monday, February 21, 2005

Reflections on the Bachelor Life, Pt. I

Today is the first day of my three months of living without my parents.

One of the first things to consider is food and food preparation. I general I like to eat well. Anton probably even more so. When we were in Fairmont we ate at the "Black Forest" restaurant, a rather nice, upscale German restaurant. I began with a tomato bisque for starters. Then I had the wiener schnitzel and schpatzlé for the main entrée and half-caraf of Chilean cabernet for a wine. I finished it with a cappuccino. Not a bad meal by any standard. But not something that one can make on a weekly basis.

There is a natural inclination when one is living on one's own to tend toward the cheap and fast. Tonight I eschewed my normal distaste for hot dogs and cooked some up beause I felt the need for some facsimile of meat in my meal. Also a pot of pasta and a can of Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup makes for a decent dinner. Call it the "Kraft aesthetic."

However, Anton likes to cook, and I do as well to a lesser extent. When one has the time to cook it can be a form of entertainment; Ask anyone who was on our spring break trip. With a fully furnished kitchen, meal preparation became the focal point of the day. Not only did we save money, but we were treated to steak one night, and tacos another.

Another effect of cooking and the bachelor life is what I call a tendency to wastefulness. For example, I feel that because I have a dishwasher, why not just fill it up once a day and run it? For that matter, since it's all the same amount of work, why not use 2 spoons when one will suffice? Bread's a little stale? Into the garbage.

The importance of eating cannot be overlooked. But when you're suddenly forced to cook for oneself on a regular basis (something this spoiled young man never had to deal with), standards are likely to slip.

3 Comments:

At 11:46 p.m., Blogger cait said...

Don't abuse the dishwasher! One day it will be gone and you will weep at the way you misused it in the folly of your youth. And by then, you will have accustomed yourself to using 12 spoons when one would have sufficed, then you will quickly degenerate when the dishes stack up, and you will then begin to reuse the same cup for three weeks, when your mother comes to visit you and is disgusted by the state of your kitchen, and shames your sister into bleaching everything, then your eyes always water and you feel like you live in a hospital, but then you degenerate again and the cycle starts all over again. And it could have been avoided if you'd only loved the dishwasher as you should have when you had the chance.

 
At 11:53 p.m., Blogger Fionncara MacEoin said...

I shall share with you a "Caras Kitchen Story"...once in Humboldt...I had to throw away my dishes...because they were not recognizable as dishes...anymore...I agree with Joel standards will slip...although my standards were not high to begin with...I started out with a travel mug and a bagel knife I bought at the co-op....smehow when moving I forgot about needing dishes...I had a coffee pot and a toaster though....and really when you are attempting to go into the Fine Arts you only need your sink for painting purposes anyway...la di da...la di da....anyhow...

 
At 7:46 a.m., Blogger Luke said...

through out my four years away form home, standards didn't only slip, they completly chnaged. prepacked lunch food became a food group, and coviencene stores could have been considered grocery stores. I got so stingy with food it could have been my currencey.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home