Weird Theories; and, Other Games You Can Play With Your Friends
Today in Browsers (I'm usually there Mon/Wed/Fri from 2 pm until 3:30 pm, so if you want to meet me I can almost guarentee I'll be there) Kevin and I were talking about how Anton and I have this game where we were attempting to cast actors to play all the people we know, and ourselves, in a film. For example, we've decided that I'm going to be played by Michael J. Fox. Anton, will be portrayed by Jerry Seinfeld. Ewan is Mel Gibson. Stephen Koo: Jeff Goldblum. And we decided that Kevin would be played by Jim Carrey ala Eternal Sunshine, but Dean will be played by Jim Carrey in some other film. You get the idea. Let me know who you think will play you (all though many of you have people that we have already decided will play you).
We have a number of weird theories that are fun to talk about (ask Ewan about the one about which 60s rock band coresponds with The Simpsons, Family Guy and South Park). The one I was thinking about today is the "Kevin Smith Film Career Theory."
It goes like this. So far of all the part-time jobs I've had in my life, I started out in a convenience store (ala Clerks) and then moved to a video store (also ala Clerks). Now I work at the mall (ala Mallrats). I decided that means that I'm going to be a comic book artist (ala Chasing Amy; you get the picture). It all makes sense.
- Clerks: convenience store, video store, or petty drug dealer
- Mallrats: mall employee, mall rat, or date rapist
- Chasing Amy: comic book artist, lesbian, or jilted lover of a lesbian (see the song "Pink Triangle" by Weezer)
- Dogma: angel, cleric, abortionist, or apostle
- Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back: film maker, web administrator (see here), or federal wildlife agent
- Jersey Girl: publicist, father who realizes his family means more to him than work, or drive a street cleaner