Thursday, April 28, 2005

The Idea of a New Star Wars Show Fills Me With Anticipation and Dread


Courtesy the fine gentlemen at Penny-Arcade. Posted by Hello

The announcement that there is going to be a new Star Wars show fills some with dread. Not so much me. If anything, Lucas has been going the route that is far from the pandering, fan friendly "O.C. crowd". And I don't have a problem with that.

It also comes back to my hesitancy to really embrace Firefly. I enjoy Joss Whedon's work, especially Buffy and Angel, but there's this desire to be "hip" that runs through a lot of his work that not many people can pull off. Take Smallville for instance, the WB's hip, young Superman show. I enjoy Smallville, and think it's one of the better TV shows on these days, but it has this "hipness" to it that kind of doesn't gel with me. I just don't see Superman as "hip." Firefly strikes me as an attempt to meld that kind of "hipness," the "O.C. factor" let's call it, with the aesthetics of Star Wars.

I'm actually glad that I don't think Lucas will do that. People will probably call the show lame and "out of touch" with what made the originals popular. I can't wait.

2 Comments:

At 9:55 p.m., Blogger Smaj said...

Am I the only one who thinks it's funny that a comic about college kids is written by a college kid?

--- this is not a dress rehersal.

 
At 5:37 p.m., Blogger Dean Ziegler said...

I've gotta agree with you about Smallville. There is something inherently lame about superman that you just can't get around. That's what I loved about the old Christoper Reeve Superman, man that guy was a dork.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home