Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Germans

So it appears that Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, a German, has been elected as Pope Benedict XVI. Interesting choice, a European, a social conservative - though those who thought there was going to be a liberal pope were fooling themselves, and really Ratzinger, while you may disagree with him, he was one of John Paul II's best friends and confidentes, and I doubt he seeks to turn things back so much as keep the rudder steady where it is.

I just find the idea of a German pontiff amusing. I am half-German - though I have a Swedish name, my mother's side is solidly German, from Coburg area in Nothern Bayern (or Bavaria as they insist on calling it over here) - and so I feel a little bit of loyalty to my people but still feel ok with poking fun at them. I've also travelled to German three times, and understand the language to a limited capacity (German 217 is the highest level class I took).

Well, the reason I think it's funny is that Dean Ziegler and I were just commenting yesterday how being German you sometimes felt like "Geez, try to take over the world twice and you're forced to pay forever." Then Dean noted that really, Germany has been trying one more time, with the EU (the European Union, not the English Undergrads...though maybe them too) to take over Europe, and this time they are succeeding. How? Through economic victory. Europe needs them.

It seems now they've got the ear of the Church too. I guess it just goes to show that war is in vain. If you really want to win, choose money and religion.

1 Comments:

At 8:48 p.m., Blogger Dean Ziegler said...

Ahh, I love my people. We'll go through hell and high water for our Lebensraum. We're determined to run the world. As my dad has reminded me on numerous occasions (usually with an annoying accent), "Ve Germans, ve have our vays"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home