Sunday, April 03, 2005

"Revolution 9" realisations

I like the Beatles a lot, but I never "got" this track until tonight. To be quite honest, this is one of those "songs" that is weird, but if you're in the right mood (preferebly doing nothing else, and not distracted), it can be, well...

I like it. And not just to be weird. I've been formulating a little bit of an analysis of it. If you have a good pair of speakers you understand how thoroughly they took advantage of stereo on the track, constantly switching from one to the other, creating a disorienting sensation. The overlapping snippits of dialogue, along with radio static, gives me the impression that I'm zooming at high speed through a city, overhearing all kinds of things that are going on (sililar to some of the first experiments on Sgt. Pepper). Bits of piano, fighting, crowds, conversations, bits of music: it's almost overwhelming and a little bit frightening.

And then the transition into "Good Night." Bloody brilliant. And I never really got this until tonight. It's like a revelation.

"Good night, everybody. Everybody, everywhere. Good night." - The Beatles, "Good Night" from the White Album

NOTE: I AM 100% SOBER.

7 Comments:

At 12:32 a.m., Blogger Dean Ziegler said...

Wow Anders, its amazing how often I read your blog when Im trying to avoid doing homework...
Yeah, I love old Beatles tracks, I can't believe they did that stuff with a four-track, its amaing. On old pink floyd albums they used to roll metal balls down the strings to create ambiant noise. They were crazy back in the day.

 
At 1:51 p.m., Blogger El Brucio said...

Whatever, hippie!

 
At 8:38 p.m., Blogger El Brucio said...

When is the part that says "Paul is dead" backwards on the track? Anyone know?

 
At 10:02 p.m., Blogger The Venomous Bee said...

I'm fairly sure it's Helter Skelter that has the "Paul is Dead" bit.

 
At 11:29 p.m., Blogger El Brucio said...

well, someone obviously has to listen to The White Album backwards and find out... or else look it up. but i'm too lazy. someone else do it.

 
At 1:50 a.m., Blogger Dean Ziegler said...

actually, the so-called backwards clues are on "Revolution 9" and "I'm so tired", at least that's what I've been led to believe. I always also thought that there was something about shoeless Paul on the cover of Abbey Road as well...

 
At 9:55 p.m., Blogger Dean Ziegler said...

ridiculousness is the spice of life

 

Post a Comment

<< Home