Saturday, April 02, 2005

In Memory of John Paul II (1920-2005)

I'm not a Catholic, and I didn't always agree with him on every issue, but I have always had a tremendous amount of respect for John Paul II. May he rest with Christ in Heaven as we speak.

I spent much of the morning reading the supplementary section in The Globe and Mail on the life and times of the man born Karol Jozef Wojtyla (Voy-TEE-wah). The first non-Italian pope in 400 years. The most travelled pope. The man who spoke against both the destructive communism of the east in his early years and the corporate greed of the west in later years. Fascinating reading. I gained a greater appreciation for his accomplishments, as well as insight into the way that the Catholic Church operates. Definitely one of the most important figures of our time. It truly is the end of an era.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home