Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Cinderella Man

I was expecting Cinderella Man - Ron Howard's Depression-era boxing flick - to be a cookie cutter, feel-good period piece. And I was partly right. It is a fairly straight forward period piece. And it is a film that leaves you on a feel good note (sorry if I spoiled it for everyone), but given the story of James Braddock, I don't think it could be any other way. But that's not a bad thing.

While it could have been a piece of melodramatic fluff, Russell Crowe - who is perhaps the consumate actor of his generation and consistantly excellent in film after film - never lets the role fall into caricature. He portrays Braddock as a honest family man, but still a real human being. Add to it the supporting actors Renée Zellweger and Paul Giamatti, who should finally get his Oscar that's been eluding him for two years despite amazing performances in Sideways and American Splendor, and we have a real acting lovers film. Even smaller roles by Bruce McGill (Collateral) and Craig Bierko as the clowning, yet vicious Max Baer, shine in this film.

Ron Howard returns to form after The Missing dissapointed me so greatly a couple of years ago. But this is a solid delivery. Howard is not an extremly flashy director, but he never gets in the way of the story and does a solid job here.

All in all, Cinderella Man is a good, solid film that outdid my expectations, just like Jim Braddock would have.

7 Comments:

At 10:05 a.m., Blogger Fionncara MacEoin said...

whats that movie where he was a preacher/ex (one shot gun man in the wild wild west guy) chained to the saloon?...and wasnt it really lame...?...I think I liked it anyway...or was that Russell Crowe...?

 
At 1:54 p.m., Blogger Anders said...

Possibly The Quick and the Dead, but I haven't seen all of it. Only what I saw on TBS one day. I think it also had Gene Hackman, Sharon Stone and Leo DiCaprio.

 
At 12:55 a.m., Blogger Dean Ziegler said...

yeah, that was QuickandtheDead. Oh how I love bad movies. In Quick/Dead, Gene Hackman gets shot and you can see a big gaudy hole in his shadow. Pure...Cinematic...Gold.

 
At 11:31 a.m., Blogger cait said...

Ha! I TOLD you it wasn't going to be crap . . . boxing+Russell Crowe+Paul Giamatti=movie worth seeing.

Okay, that's all I have to say.

 
At 11:38 a.m., Blogger Fionncara MacEoin said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11:42 a.m., Blogger Fionncara MacEoin said...

okay something lame about russell crowe was said

anyhow

sorry i bailed on your b-day thing anders-i was super tired saturday


happy birthday though from me !!!!

 
At 11:42 a.m., Blogger Fionncara MacEoin said...

(ie..i said something lame about russell crowe and deleted....)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home