Monday, February 28, 2005

"why I hate Sean Penn and other Oscar business"

So it turns out that I'm not as good at predicting without a Peter Jackson film in the running. The only categories I really stumbled in were the Supporting Actor/Actress ones where I was positive that they would throw something the direction of Sideways (but I'm not too upset because Alexander Payne is still a young man and seems to be growing as a director), and Best Picture; the Academy decided that they weren't going to go the obvious route and pay tribute to the glory days of Hollywood in Martin Scorsese's The Aviator and instead rewarded the kind of film that they made back in the glory days, the low key and powerful Million Dollar Baby.

I know a lot of people (Caitlin and Swambo, Harry Knowles) were upset that Baby won. I can't really say I am. What I am is glad that Clint won for this film and not for Mystic River last year, which was a good but uneven film, and not on the same level that Baby was. The thing that bugged me the most about Mystic River was Sean Penn's acting. His over acting is almost unbearable ("uGHHggh...Is...THAT my DAUGHTER...in THERE?! wahhahagahhh!!"). I almost felt like this time Clint was like, "Well, dammit, I guess I'm going to have to do it myself and show them how it's done." Sean Penn's Oscar for that award was annoying, not only because of his incredibly grating personality and politiking, but because he robbed Bill Murray in the performance of a lifetime.

This is why I hate Sean Penn. For one, apparently he has no sense of humour. When Matt Stone and Trey Parker made fun of him in Team America, Penn felt it neccessary to remind them about how immature they were and how bad Bush is and then basically miss the entire point of their film. Last night he showed how incredibly out of touch with humour (intentional that is; we've gotten many a good joke out of his Mystic River performance) he is. When presenting the award for Best Actress, he first felt it neccessary to point out that Jude Law is a really talented actor even though Chris Rock razzed him in the opening. Note to Sean: I like Jude a lot. He is really talented. And I'm sure Jude know's this. He doesn't need you to defend him, especially from a STAND-UP COMIC. The preposterousness of Penn not being able to let a joke go. I mean, nobody takes it seriously, that's why Chris Rock is saying it. But it's true, Jude was in a lot of movies this past year (six films from Sept. to Dec.). And Chris wasn't mean spirited in it, he was just bugging him. That's what he does. Sean Penn needs to lighten up. They guy is so humourless it really bugs me. Ugh. Why couldn't Chris Rock have made fun of him. That would have been more entertaining.

5 Comments:

At 2:07 p.m., Blogger cait said...

I love how you put Swambo and I in with Harry Knowles; I feel like I have more credibility now. In all fairness, I am actually looking forward to Million Dollar Baby. I just have a scunner against Clint Eastwood, as you know.

As to Sean Penn: You'd think someone who'd been married to Madonna would have to have a sense of humour, but I guess not. He annoys the piss out of my family, too.

 
At 10:45 p.m., Blogger Golden lady said...

I won't talk as though I have a vast knowledge of the film business, but I will say that I believe Sean Penn truly is a great actor that is perhaps a bit understood. I don't think that he is so much "humourless" as he is shy and reserved. I believe that in his Jude Law comment he was not meaning to be mean-spirited and I AM glad he said it because I think Chris Rock is an idiot - now there's a fine case of over-acting.
Sean Penn has given many amazing performances - not just in Mystic River (where I do not see the over-acting) but also in Dead Man Walking and 21 Grams.

 
At 7:04 p.m., Blogger Golden lady said...

I'm scared to see "I am Sam" just because I've heard all the Beatles covers that were on the soundtrack were horrendous. As a big Beatles fan, I'm not so sure how I feel about those bands that try to cover it.

Not that this has anything to do with Sean Penn. Sorry Anders.

 
At 8:57 p.m., Blogger cait said...

You know, actually, I didn't think the soundtrack was too bad; uneven, of course (some of it was downright frightening: what are Sheryl Crow and Ben Harper doing? I just don't know), but I actually really like the Vines' cover of "I'm Only Sleeping," and the Black Crowes' version of "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds" is a pared down version of the Beatles version, which is definitely interesting. I also thought Sarah McLachlan's cover of "Blackbird" was interesting: the orchestration is basically the same, but McLachlan and McCartney have almost polar opposite voices (Paul, light and male; Sarah, heavy and female), so it feels really different.

Anyhow, I'll stop trying to sell you the album.

 
At 10:37 p.m., Blogger Golden lady said...

Paul McCartney's version of "Blackbird" as heard on the White Album has always been one of my favourites. Sarah's version made me want to hurt her and I personally felt horrid when I realized that some people (not knowing any better) thought she had written it.

After that, I really didn't know much about the soundtrack. Thanks for the info. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home